Miscommunication in healthcare can lead to disastrous results. Here are the five steps necessary to turn confusion--in any healthcare setting--into clear communication that results in better patient care and better use of staff time.
Combining humor and drama, this team-building video demonstrates dangers that arise when there is a discrepancy between what we mean to say and what others hear, how varied interpretations of a single word can upset our ability to provide the best in patient care and the importance of precise communication - especially in a health care setting.
Viewers learn how communication succeeds when it passes through 5 stages:
- The Speaker launches a thought
- The Language that is chosen is clear and uses specific words
- The Environment is organized and free of distractions
- The Listener interprets the message
- Thorough Feedback is given to guarantee that the Speaker and Listener understand each other completely
Key Learning Points
- Reduces miscommunications
- Improves speaking and listening
- Helps staff provide better patient care